Darjeeling, in India is not just another hill station destination that must be explored for the sake of visiting one. You need to explore the beautiful mountain ridges, the amazing tea plantations and the magnificent Khangchendzonga, which is 8598m high to know what the hill station is truly capable of offering. Apart from being one of the finest tourist destinations, Darjeeling also serves as a popular honeymoon spot with couples thronging to the town from all over India. Read on to find out more about the hill station and the top spots that are worth visiting in Darjeeling.
When in Darjeeling, Don’t forget to:
- Visit the spectacular tea gardens situated on the rolling hills.
- Have a closer look at the pines, orchids and rhododendrons.
- Experience the scenic beauty of the sights through the mountains.
- Enjoy the toy train ride and more.
- Visit Kalimpong, famous for the Zang Dhok Palri Phodang monastery that holds several rare scriptures that were passed to India post the Tibet invasion in 1959.
- Peace Pagoda situated on the Charlimont Hill is among the thirty other pagodas on this globe that were set up by Japan’s popular Buddhist monk- Nichidatsu Fujii. The pagoda is a symbol of harmony and world peace.
Some of the other tourist destinations that you need to explore in Darjeeling include:
- Himalayan Mountaineering Institute
- Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park
- Tiger Hill
- Batasia Loop
- Khambuhang Nature Holiday Camp
Food & Flavours in Darjeeling
If you are a foodie or even if you are searching for the best restaurants and food joints to experience the amazing food & flavours of Darjeeling, then you ought to visit the Keventers Restaurant(famous for Cheese toast and indo-west cuisine) and the Revolver Hotel.
What You Must Explore in Darjeeling…
1. Teesta: If you are an adventure addict, then Teesta in Darjeeling is where you should be heading next. It offers excellent scope for river rafting where you will get to witness a number of rapids, varying in intensity and ranging anywhere between Grade 1-4.
2. Sandakphu: This spot is ideal for the trekkers. Regarded as the highest point within the West Bengal state, Sandakphu trekking will leave the adventure junkie in you both excited and elated. Situated at an altitude of 3,636m, Sanakphu is renowned for offering the stupendous view of the breath taking Mt. Everest as well as the Kanchenjunga.
3. Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park: One of the most exciting experiences in Darjeeling can be sought at the Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park. Here, you will get to witness the endangered yet amazing Himalayan wolf, snow leopards, Red Panda and many more species. If you love the idea of undertaking a zoo trip, then the park will definitely meet your expectations.
4. Himalayan Mountaineering Institute: Although the institute is famous for organizing a number of adventure and mountaineering courses for both beginners and experts, you can visit it to indulge in one-time rock climbing and other adventure activities that are specifically arranged for tourists & travellers. The cost of the basic course at the institute is Rs4000 per person and it lasts for almost a month. On the other hand, rock climbing as well as other adventure activities are offered for only Rs200/person.
5. Ride the Toy Train: Yes, the toy train ride experience is a must and you shouldn’t skip it no matter what. In fact, riding the toy train would be double fun if you are travelling with kids. The entire experience would be both fun and enthralling. Begin you journey at Ghoom and de-board at Kurseong to discover the numerous food joints as well as to indulge in the incredible sightseeing experience that will transport you to a world of your own.
6. Tiger Hill: Your Darjeeling trip will be far from over if you fail to witness the splendid sunrise view at the Tiger Hill. In fact, the view of the sunlight falling on the snow-capped Kanchenjunga peak and further illuminating it with gorgeous colours is once in a life-time experience that is worth witnessing.
7. Dooars: Another must-visit spot in Darjeeling is famous tea gardens at Dooars. The tea here is worth enjoying for it is both refreshing and marvellous at the same time. Besides, the experience of witnessing the enticing beauty of tea plantations and pruned bushes is something that is truly worth your time and money.
Shopping in Darjeeling
When in Darjeeling, don’t hesitate to shop at the famous Chowrasta, also known as the Mall in Darjeeling. Apart from this, you could also shop at the Bhutia Market which is one of the preferred destinations of tourists from around the world. The market is full of winter wear such as gloves, sweaters, woollen caps, jackets, jeans and mufflers, all of which are available at highly affordable prices.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to explore Darjeeling is April to June in the summer season and October to December during the winter months.