How many times have you felt that you should be preparing something different whenever there are guests at your place? Many times right? The North Indian mouth-watering snacks like Samosa, Chole-Bhature, Dahi-Bhalla, Papdi Chat etc are always a favourite or for that matter the first choice for any foodie, but why not serve something special and different this time to your guests.
Last Sunday, when some of my friends visited my house for a get together, amongst the snacks that were served with tea, one item was Vegetable Chop and everyone enjoyed it to their heart’s content. Vegetable Chop happens to be a favorite snack item of Bengal, appreciated by one and all. The process may sound little tedious but the end result is always rewarding.
Here I am sharing the recipe for all our readers to try at home –
|Beet (Chukandar) peeled and cut into small cubes||–||4|
|Carrot (Gajar) peeled and cut into small cubes||–||2|
|Onions chopped||–||2 large|
|Tomato cut into small cubes||–||2|
|Peas (Matar)||–||1 cup|
|Potato (Alu) Peeled cut into small cubes||–||1 cup|
|Roasted or oil-fried Groundnut||–||1/4 cup|
|Ginger Paste||–||1 tsp|
|Garlic Paste||–||1 tsp|
|Red chilly powder||–||1/2 tsp|
|Black pepper powder||–||1/2 tsp|
|Garam Masala||–||1 tsp|
|Salt||–||1 tsp or as per taste|
|Roasted Dhania Powder||–||2 tsp|
|Roasted Red Chilly Powder||–||1/2 tsp|
|Mustard oil||–||6 tsp|
|Bread crumbs||–||2 cups|
|Mango Powder (Aamchur)||–||One fourth tsp|
|Raisin (Kishmis)||–||2 tsp|
Note: Beet and Carrot to be boiled in a pressure cooker up to two whistles and removed immediately releasing the pressure. Additional quantity oil is required for deep frying.
- Heat Fry Pan and put 6 tablespoon Mustard Oil. Add two sticks of cinnamon, two cloves and two cardamoms in oil, fry for 10 seconds and remove from oil
- Add chopped onion and fry till brown. Add Ginger and Garlic paste, turmeric, Black pepper, red chili and fry for 2 minutes
- Add all vegetables and mix well with the fried spices. Add little water and cover the Fry Pan. Cook in low flame for 10 minutes
- Open the cover, add salt, sugar, Garam Masala and steer fry for another 5 minutes. See the tenderness of the vegetables and add roasted Dhania and roasted Red Chilly Powder
- Steer fry for one minute and lastly add Mango Powder, Roasted Ground Nuts and Raisins before taking out. Your cooked vegetable is now ready. Switch off Gas Stove. Let the cooked vegetable cool for 15 minutes and keep aside
- Now make at least 10 balls out of the cooked vegetables and keep aside
- In a large plate spread the bread crumbs and keep aside
- Next in a bowl break two eggs, whisk using a spoon, add a pinch of salt and keep aside
- Dip the balls one at a time in the egg whey and roll all sides on the breadcrumbs and keep in a large plate
- When all the balls are ready, refrigerate them for half an hour
- Before serving them to the guests, take out the balls and deep fry in mustard oil till brown. Take out and put on a napkin for absorbing the extra oil.
Your vegetable chops are now ready to be served hot with tomato sauce. Alternatively you can keep some chopped onion and cucumber on one side of the serving plate while serving it to your guests.
– SS DE