Until sometime back artificial intelligence was nothing more than a fancy idea or imagination of science fiction book writers. However, today we’ve reached a point where artificial intelligence is well on its way to become a reality and a crucial aspect of our future.
In simple terms, artificial intelligence is all about using computer systems for performing numerous tasks, which would otherwise involve human action or role. For instance, speech recognition such as Apple’s Siri, language translation like the search results offered by Google as well as the weather forecasting by computers are all excellent examples of artificial intelligence. Each of these software and technologies revolve around machine based algorithms, which further help them in responding and reacting in real time.
The emergence of the above technologies is proof enough that AI will soon become a part and parcel of our daily lives. However, like every other technology, Artificial Intelligence too has its own pros and cons. Read on to find some of the advantages as well as disadvantages of artificial intelligence.
- Helpful in Completing Boring or Routine Tasks: One of the biggest advantages of AI is that it allows humans to fulfill or accomplish their routine or boring tasks with ease. Automated computers and systems not only follow human commands but also enhance productivity as one gets more free time to enhance their creative skills and abilities.
- Quick Decision Making: Artificial Intelligence when combined with cognitive systems and technologies allow humans to take quick decisions and also execute them at a faster pace.
- No More Errors: While humans naturally tend to commit errors on one or the other occasion, computers are designed to make no mistakes at all. Computers, when programmed appropriately, process error free data quickly and exactly the way expected of them.
- No Risk to Human Life: AI can be intelligently used for exposing robots/computers to risks rather than humans. For instance, scientists use advanced robots for exploring space and planets such as Mars. Thus, AI can help humans in exploring the ideals paths to different celestial bodies and further assist them in making breakthroughs in different fields like medical treatment & diagnosis, oil exploring, forecasting demand etc.
- Loss of Jobs: Needless to mention, Artificial Intelligence will enable humans in displacing several low skilled or minor jobs. For example, robots have already replaced a wide range of assembly line related jobs and may soon accomplish higher or newer levels. Another example is that of automatic cars that do not require human drivers. This may leave many drivers or chauffeurs jobless in the years to come.
- Take Over Humans: Many people argue that once in place, Artificial Intelligence won’t allow humans to take control of anything at all. AI will not only dehumanize human actions but also get rid of them in a number of ways.
- Improper Judgement: While human beings are capable of taking unique decisions and judgements, machines around the concept of Artificial Intelligence can never achieve that.
To conclude, Artificial Intelligence has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. In fact the World Economic Forum has made predictions around Artificial Intelligence stating that as many as 5.1 million people will lose their jobs in the next 5 years in around fifteen different countries. However, another study has found that AI can help in simplifying numerous manual as well as tedious processes and hence has immense potential for future growth and success. Given the above facts, humans need to operate intelligently and apply their judgements to ensure that robots don’t end up controlling our future.