In the last few years, a lot of new smartphone companies and brands have come forth in the smartphone market. This is due to the fact that users are now more interested in features and new trends that brand name. This has led companies to invest in new technology aggressively. It was due to this strategy that 2019 saw the rise of pop-up selfie camera, waterdrop notch display, OEMs high screen-to-body ratio. It seems that 2020 would be no different. Today, we are focusing on five smartphone trends that you can see in smartphones in 2020.
- 108MP camera sensor: The Mobile camera is one part that just keeps on getting better year on year. This year it seems like a 108MP sensor will become a household thing. Xiaomi has already launched it in its Mi Note 10 smartphone. Realme and Samsung are also rumored to release their version in their upcoming phones. Sony is also expected to release its own version, which you should be most excited about. Currently, the Galaxy S11 series is the only Samsung phone in which you can see a 108MP sensor in work.
- Penta-camera setup: A lot of memes surfaced the internet when the iPhone launched its triple-camera phone. But there were quite a few smartphones such as Nokia 9 PureView, Redmi K20, Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Huawei P30 Pro, Realme X2 Pro, Vivo V17 Pro, Honor 20, etc. which had quad-camera. It looks like the next big step is a Penta camera setup, which will better than the previous version. Xiaomi is one to introduce the setup in their Mi Note 10. However, Vivo and Oppo are also set to launch their own version later this year.
- 100W fast-charging: With everything moving from computers to smartphones, people don’t want to stay away from their phones even if it is charging. It is speculated that 100W Super Charge Turbo fast charging is on its way. Vivo recently tested its own 120W fast charging tech that takes just 12 minutes to charge a 4,000mAh battery. While Xiaomi 100W super Charger took 17 minutes to charge a 4,000mAh battery. OnePlus is also working on its own supercharger. So, you can expect all major brands to introduce this feature in at least a few of their models in 2020.
- Foldable Phone: Technically, Foldable Smartphone did come into the market in 2019. But even Samsung would admit that it was a disaster. Now that Motorola and Huawei who have got their hands on the foldable screen technology. You can expect them to release their own version soon. Xiaomi is teasing its own smartphone for a long time now while Vivo and Oppo have leaked a few images of their own foldable smartphone design. But it is yet to say for sure anything. However, Samsung is sure to release its second-generation foldable smartphone, ‘Galaxy Fold 2,’ is expected just ahead of MWC.
- 5G: 5G has received a lot of negative publicity in 2019. There were even rumors that countries are banning 5G due to its adverse effect on birds. But this didn’t stop smartphone companies from testing the technology. Although a lot of phones do support 5G, but the network is still an issue. It seems that this year would be when 5G will become a norm in most countries. Airtel and Jio are working on their own infrastructure for 5G. OnePlus has reportedly tested its 5G phone in India, while Realme has officially announced to launch phones with 5G capability in India. Although 5G won’t be available throughout the country, but major cities will surely taste the speed of the new cellular connectivity.
So, these are five smartphone trends expected to launch in 2020, which will eventually make them a household feature in the coming years.