What to cook and pack for lunch every day for office is an age old problem for most of the office goers. Some organizations have their own canteen and serve tasty breakfast and lunch but either the foods prepared are oily and too spicy or are priced exorbitantly. Most of the time employees complain about the monotonous stereotyped food served by the contractors. There are also some workers, employees, or executives who willingly or unwillingly, either due to inadequate cooking facility available at home or in order to avoid hassles of cooking, end up eating street foods like chole kulche, rajma chawal, chole bhature, chole chawal, sandwich, paranthas, idlis or dosas. While most of them remain fit, some of them withdraw themselves after months of eating these foods and then pay visit to doctors who invariably warn them about gastronomical effect of eating street foods. For these reasons it is always safe and good to carry home cooked food for lunch.
This is one of the many items I made during my daughter’s one week stay with me after her marriage. She took this dish to her office which she enthusiastically shared with her friends during lunch the other day.
|Cauliflower florets||–||Half kg|
|Potato Large||–||2 (cube shaped)|
|Tomato Large||–||1 (chopped)|
|Green Chilly||–||1 (chopped)|
|Turmeric Powder||–||1 tsp|
|Cumin Powder||–||1 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||–||1 tsp|
|Red Chilly Powder||–||Half tsp|
|MDH Garam Masala||–||2 tsp|
|Salt||–||1 tsp or as per taste|
|Black salt||–||Quarter tsp|
- Heat 4 tbsp mustard oil in a Fry Pan
- After this add cauliflower florets and potato cubes, fry till brown, take out and keep aside
- Heat 2 tbsp oil more, add little cumin seed, one cinnamon stick, one cardamom, 4 cloves and fry for 10 seconds
- Make a paste of Turmeric powder, Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Red chilly powder adding little water and put in the oil and fry for two minutes
- Add chopped tomato and green chilly and fry for another two minutes
- Now put the fried cauliflower and potato in the fry pan. Mix well with the masala adding salts
- Add Garam Masala and fry for 5 minutes. Add little water and cover the fry pan
- After 5 minutes remove the cover and check the tenderness of the vegetables. If ok then add whisked yoghurt on the vegetables. Cook the vegetables for another 5 minutes or till water dries off
- Switch off your gas stove. Take out and serve hot with rice or chapatti.
– SS DE