There are many favourite delicacies that the country of India has, to offer to the world. But no foodie lover has ever expressed resistance to Biryani. It is just enough to make someone’s day or be the main course of a mega-celebration. From the richness of spices to the taste of the handi-cooked rice, it is just mouth-watering and perfect. With the squeeze of a lemon and pickled onions, I am already salivating writing it right now.
But while this delicacy is so loved, it is not always possible to rush to the nearest restaurant every time. Originally, this dish was prepared in earthen pots, however with time and to our relief they can now be cooked easily in pressure cookers or pots.
Ready to master this delicacy?
This recipe that I am going to tell you about is a Chicken Biryani recipe, that if you master, you will be sorted for a long time in your life.
This recipe will serve approximately 3 people. It is a main course dish. It take approximately 30 minutes to cook and has a simple list of readily available ingredients.
Go fetch these Ingredients before you get started :
● Dry Spice that are to be used for tempering
- 1 bay leaf (Or tej patta)
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 1 Star Anise (Chakri phool)
- Small Cinnamon Stick (Dal chini)
- 4-6 cloves (Lavang)
- 3 green cardamoms (Chhoti Elaichi)
● For the Marnation of Chicken
- 1 and a ½ tablespoon curd or yogurt
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon Biryani Masala or Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- Salt as needed
● Other Ingredients
- ½ kg Chicken
- Aged Basmati Rice (chawal) – 2 cups
- 3 ¼ cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 Medium tomato
- 1 and a ½ tablespoon curd/yogurt
- 12 mint leaves (pudina) – finely chopped
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 green chilies sliced or chopped
- 1 Large onion sliced thinly
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- Salt as required
● To powder
- Very small piece of Nutmeg (Jaiphal)
- 4 cardamoms (chhoti elaichi)
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon pepper corn (kali mirch)
- Cloves (lavang) – 5 units
- Small cinnamon stick, aka, dalchini
- Fennel seeds (saunf) – ½ teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon Stone flower (kalapasi) : This is an optional ingredient
To grab the best of the ingredients, you could easily visit the grofers site and use the grofers promo code to avail the best of the offers. This would help you save while you cooked this yummy delectable.
Ready to get cooking?
For the preparation of this Biryani, you are required to soak your rice for at least 20 to 30 minutes in water before you can get cooking.
The chicken needs to be marinated using all the ingredients mentioned marination. It is to be mixed well and set aside.
Making of the Chicken Biryani:
First of all, you are required to add oil to the pot or pressure cooker, whichever you are using for this recipe. Next, to this pot add the dry spices and bring it to a sizzle.
Next to the pot, add onions and fry them till they turn golden. Post that, add ginger garlic paste and fry till it becomes soft.
Next, you add chicken to the pot and fry till the colour of the chicken is slightly pale. Next, add chopped tomatoes, yogurt/curd, red chilli powder, coriander leaves and mint to the pot and cook the mixture turns thick and dry. By this time your chicken would have cooked beautifully.
Add the rest of the masala and keep frying it till you get a nice smell and colour.
In a separate bowl, mix water and salt. The water salt mixture must be slightly salty. Also, take into consideration the salt that you already added while marinating the chicken. Next, pour this mixture to the chicken pot and bring it to a boil.
Drain off your rice completely and add to your ot or cooker. Continue cooking the rice til very less water is left. Cover the pot or pressure cooker with a lid and turn the flame low. Cook it for about 3 to 5 minutes. Bring the heat down for the pot.
If you find after the cook, that the rice looked slightly undercooked, sprinkle a little water and cook if for some more time.
Your biryani is all cooked. Serve it hot with onion raita or biryani shorba and sliced onions and lemon.
Still Need Help?
You can also watch the video to help you on how to cook an irresistible chicken biryani.
Hit your kitchens right away and Happy Cooking!
– Ankush Gupta